Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

In which I tell you about what's new... and also what's not-so-new. 

- So, today I got my black belt. (In taekwondo, if you haven't read my "About Me".) I've been doing taekwondo for about three years, and I did it. I finally got my black belt. It still hasn't sunk in. Of course, I won't get the belt for another few weeks, because they have to send away for it to Korea. Maybe it'll sink in then.
The test was today, and there were about a hundred poom belts in this medium-sized room with hardwood floors, a stage, and chandeliers. It looked like a ballroom, but we didn't dance. We did forms, board breaking and sparring. And then we clapped for about a thousand hours while every single person was called one-by-one to go up on stage and receive their certificate. I could go on, but this is a headline post.

- Tomorrow's Easter, as you all know. Every year the Younger Brother and I get Easter baskets filled with candy and various knick-knacks, and it just makes Easter morning a happy morning. You can't nurse a dismal mood when you're sorting through a basket of surprise delights.

- I'm looking for a job. I don't want one, but I need one. Probably more on this later.

- I have a piano recital next weekend. I'm doing two pieces: "The Theme from Clair de Lune" and "Hungarian Dance". "The Theme from Clair de Lune" means "the first three pages of Clair de Lune that I made up an ending for, because I couldn't learn the rest fast enough to play at the recital". Sounds a lot better the first way, though. 
Anyway, this last week I didn't tinkle the ivories at all. Not one bit. And then I went to my piano lesson yesterday and played my two pieces as good, if not better, than I had ever played them before. So, I have this theory. I'll practice insanely hard the first part of this week, and then let the piano lie dormant until the day of the recital. Then I'll practice a few times before we actually go to the recital, and then I'll perform. Sort of conserving the music until I really need it, if you will. Sure, it sounds kind of dangerous and risky and might backfire, but hey! What's life without a little risk?

- I've been working hard on The Chaos I Am. (See earlier post New Story if you have no idea what I'm talking about.) I'm trying to get to know Seyf better, but it's slow work.
Incidentally, I made a new cover for TCIA:

Whaddaya think? Would you read a story with this cover?
   

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! First of all, on your black belt. And I like your logic on piano playing. I do the same thing. I prefer procrastination, though it gets me into hot water sometimes. I'm supposed to be playing at some dinner on Saturday, and I haven't even gone through all my songs in one sitting.... So yeah...
    Anyway, can't wait to read more of The Chaos I am.

    As far as jobs, same here. I'm looking for one and can't seem to find one--unless it's at McDonalds. And I don't want to work there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering (since I can't figure it out and it's really bothering me), how old are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't answer if that's a totally creepy question... I didn't mean it to be. :)

      Delete