Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My Bookshelf: "The Thief"

THE THIEF

**I made a resolution that the above is going to be the only use of caps lock in this post. I may or may not succeed, but I shall try.**

I first read The Thief a long time ago. And by "a long time ago" I mean maybe last year or the year before. It's the first in a series with (to date) four books in it, by Megan Whalen Turner. I'm posting about it for two reasons:

1)  I just reread it today and I really-really-really want to talk about it, and I don't want to annoy my family

2) The Thief's fanbase is not as big as it should be

The new, cooler cover.
My introduction to The Thief came when I was meandering in the bookstore and I saw a book with a cool cover. It wasn't The Thief. It was actually the fourth book in the series, A Conspiracy of Kings. I didn't know that, however, and the synopsis on the back didn't say that it was the fourth, so I bought it. As I read, I was completely confused but entranced at the same time. I didn't know the backstory to what was going on but I followed the action and I liked and rooted for and understood all the characters as I met them, and I loved it.

Honestly. I am literally getting shivers of excitement as I write this. I want to jump up and down and yell, but I won't because I promised not to use caps lock. Also my mom would think I was dying and come running to my room.

Of course I went to the bookstore again and bought all three of the others, because I knew they were all going to be worth it because A Conspiracy of Kings gave me that much faith in MWT. And that brings me to The Thief itself.

The Thief, as a book, is significantly different than the other three in the series. First of all, it's first-person narrated.* Second, for the other three books you kind of know who everyone is and what is generally going on.** Yeah... not so much of that in The Thief.

Let me explain -- no, there's too much.

Let me sum up.
The lame, older cover.
(The one I have.)

The book is set in a made-up, medieval world with a rather Byzantine flavor to it. Kings, queens and swords are the order of the day. (There are guns, but they're rudimentary.) Anyway, three countries concern us most at this point. There's Attolia, the northernmost, and Sounis, the southernmost. Eddis is a littler country set in the mountains between the two others. These three countries are ruled by a king and two queens, respectively.

Our main character and narrator is Gen***, who is a thief in the King of Sounis's prison. Supporting characters include the Magus, who is a chief adviser and scholar in the service of the King of Sounis, and who wants Gen to steal something for him. Also, there are the Magus's two apprentices and a soldier.

The Thief follows Gen and the other four on their quest to steal the aforementioned "something".

The things I liked about The Thief:


  • GEN****. Otherwise known as the "Reigning Epic Trollmaster of First-Person Narrators". As one tumblogger said memorably, "Everybody go home. Pack up your things. All attempts to be this awesome are futile." 

My reaction to Gen's complete and
utter domination and pwnage
of... everything.

I want to say so much more about this -- you have no idea how much self-control I am employing at this moment. You can thank me later, after you read it. READ IT. NOW.


  • All the other characters, except the ones you weren't supposed to like. Honestly, most of the named characters in this book have a special place in my heart.


I would go on. I would tell you about every character and what I thought of them. I would discuss every suspicious description that was oh-so-unsuspiciously worded. I would exult over every moment of beauteous cleverness. However, I can't do so without giving away everything. Tragic, I know.

All I can say is GO READ THE BLOODY BOOK. DO IT.

What I didn't like about The Thief:

A beautiful drawing of Gen by DeviantART
user andrielisilien.
You might think that, by my overall reaction to the book, that I would have nothing to say in this section. Not so, my friends, not so!


  • The pantheon of gods. The old gods, the new gods, the invaders' gods, the gods' temples, the god stories. THAT is one part of The Thief that I could really live without.


Now I'm going to cheat and talk about what other people have disliked about The Thief. The most common complaint I've heard from any friends and acquaintances and relatives who've read this book is, "Too much description. It was boring." Other things I've heard include, "The whole thing was about their trip, and I didn't even understand the end," and "Gen spent the whole book whining."

Lies, I tell you. Vicious lies.

One warning I will give, though: there is description. It's not Ben-Hur stop-telling-me-about-the-marketplace-already-I-don't-care-about-the-hairstyle-of-every-single-person-in-Jerusalem description, but I'm not going to pretend there isn't any. I don't want to hear whining about the description, so if you're the kind of person who gets bored easily, don't read it.

If, however, you like characters and relationships and picturing a place in your head and wondering what in the world is Gen doing? What does that mean? ...Then FOR GOODNESS SAKES READ THE BOOK.

And if you do, talk to me about it! Please! Read the next three books. I want to laugh about Gen's jokes and exchange favorite quotes and characters and moments and talk about clever writing and Costis and Dite and Sophos with you! XD

*ahem*

Now that I've composed myself... rating time! On a scale of "It was the worst book I ever read" to "I AM NOW A RABID FAN", how would I place The Thief?

Hands down, "I AM NOW A RABID FAN"!

And I will always be a rabid fan.

------

*A Conspiracy of Kings is partially first-person narrated, but in a different way than The Thief.

**Emphasis on "kind of". You never really know what's going on with Gen. Ever.

***Apologies to Gen. I had to use this version of his name to avoid spoilers.

****I have failed. Caps lock overcame me -- I'm sorry. *hangs head in shame*

2 comments: